Tuesday 21 July 2009

Going for Gold

As well as making cakes, my other hobby is Archery. Been doing it for a couple of years now and I really enjoy it. 2 weekends ago my club held their annual family fun shoot. A lovely afternoon was had by all (in between huge rain showers) and after we finished shooting and were having our picnics, talk turned to the club's annual tournament, which was to be held the next weekend. I volunteered to make a cake for the refreshments table and they said that would be great, so I went off home to decide on what to do.

I settled on something relatively simple, a round cake with black, blue, red and gold rings, representing a target. Like so...

I went and picked up a lovely little box of paste colours from Lakeland plastics, 8 colours for about £15, which seemed like a bargain to me and then worked out what I could use as templates for the rings.

I assembled all my equipment and got started

Now, here's the thing. I'm really regretting this now, but I didn't take any photos as I went along. I got so focussed on getting the ruddy thing finished in time that I just cracked on with it. I finished up the basic cake and was pretty pleased with it over all. The black ring was a little too grey for my liking, but I think it still looks good.


So after I had completed that, it was time to craft my arrows! using some chocolate covered biscuit sticks found in a local asian supermarket and some leftover coloured icing for fletchings I (k)nocked* up 6 arrows and them got everything ready to take to the tournament. Once there, I stuck the arrows into the cake and left it on the refreshments table for a bit while I had to sort something else out. When I returned I was asked if they could please use my cake as a raffle prize. I was a little shocked, but I said yes, and I'm glad I did. It sat on display during the afternoon and was won by one of our club's junior members.

I spent the afternoon chatting to one of the other women in the refreshment tent and ended up having her ask me to quote for making her daughter's birthday cake for this coming weekend. The plan is ready, I have my basic ingredients, now all I am waiting for is the go ahead to make it. So watch this space.

*please excuse the awful archery pun.

8 comments:

  1. I love this cake...must have taken you ages!!! looks very professional!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this cake and want to prepare this for one of the upcoming events for my son. However I don't know how to make the arrows. I am not making fondant.

    Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure how you could make the arrows without using fondant/gumpaste for the fletchings.
    If anyone out there has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about making the arrows using fruit leather? That is what I am going to try, anyway. Thank you so much for posting your cake, I loved it! I am going to make it for my son's Cub Scouts' Blue and Gold celebration this week, where the cakes are auctioned, I bet it will bring a lot of money for his pack!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to ask a question: how did you go from deciding what to use as templates for the rings to actually making them? Thanks, excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, thanks for the suggestion to use fruit leathers, that's a really good idea, might have to try that myself.

    For each ring I rolled out the coloured fondant to the right size and equal thickness (just a few millimetres, as they were sitting on top of another layer of fondant and I didn't want it to be too sickly), and then cut around the template item with a very sharp knife. Then I used the template for the next ring down to cut out the centre.

    It's a bit fiddly and took some time, but it had to be done that way otherwise the centre would have been about 2 centimetres thick with icing.

    Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Following throught my Feb 13th posting. Update- I made the cake for my son's boy scout Blue and Gold dinner. The competition was tough this year, but he did win a certificate "Tiny But Mighty" (I love baking and for the last 3 years since he has been with the scouts I have been baking and decorating cakes and we have been winning certificates). Yeah!! I did end up making fondant and for arrows I used Pirouette wafer cookies and stuck the fondant with icing on the wafers. It worked really well. I over heard many kids talk about winning our cake at the evnent. Thank you for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you were successful with the cake, thanks for your comments and I'm glad I was able to give you the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete