Thursday 23 July 2009

Birthday Party/Baby Shower combo

One of my closest friends is expecting her first baby in about a month's time.
Yesterday was her birthday so her mother and sisters organised a surprise combination Birthday Party/Baby Shower for her. I volunteered to bring cake and thought I'd try and do something a bit different.

The basic idea was toy blocks, so I started out with a simple chocolate sponge, and cut it into 4 equal squares. Each one was cut in half, filled with buttercream, and then crumb coated.


These were then left to set for several hours while I went off to work, ready for me to come back and finish them off before the party.

When I got back from work I started off by covering each block in another layer of buttercream to smooth them out. This was nearly a total disaster as haflway through covering the last block I slipped and knocked it upside down onto the counter top. I was able to rescue it though, and the damage was, thankfully, not irreparable.


And then I worked on the piping. This was my first attempt, so yeah, it's a bit messy. Please god though, don't send it into Cake Wrecks!



The birthday girl/mum-to-be loved the cake, and all the other guests were very impressed too, it certainly got eaten pretty quickly, I only just had time to get this picture.

1 comment:

  1. The cake was amazing and very very yummy! It was fantastic that Clare took the time to make a present and it definitely was a highlight to the party!
    Thank you so so much Clare!

    ReplyDelete