Wednesday 10 June 2009

The Metallicake

I had this big idea when we were in New Zealand, that for the upcoming Asylum Supernatural convention that I was going to attend, it would be fab to make a cake and enter it in the art competition they were having. Then I thought, what would be really cool, and all about Supernatural, yet easy to make in cake form. The Impala.

For those of you who aren't fans of Supernatural, first of all, why not? It's a great show that goes from strength to strength every season. Grab the first three seasons on DVD now, you've got most of the summer to catch up and then grab season 4 on DVD before 5 hits the airwaves in the fall. (Thursday nights, 9pm, after Smallville on The CW).

Right, back to the point, yeah, if you're not a fan you won't know about The Impala. The two main characters in the show drive around the US hunting ghosts and demons and stuff in a beautiful, black, 1967 4 door hard top Chevrolet Impala. This one...



Right, got that fixed in your mind? Okay good. So while we were still in NZ I was sketching it (from memory) and trying to work out what I would need to put it together. Bear in mind at this point, I still hadn't baked a cake...

Right, so after we got back, I had my few practice goes, which you can see in my previous posts, and then figured I should get cracking on this bad boy. I found the specs online for the Impala and scaled down to work out my dimensions. 21 x 8 x 5.5 inches was what I ended up with, which meant a grand total of 4 x 8 inch square sponges.

The ingredients list for this creation was terrifying. 2 dozen eggs, over 2.5 kilos of flour, not to mention I could only bake one cake at a time in my small oven, and each one took around 4 hours to bake evenly!

So, once they were all baked I assembled them and carved the basic shape.


It took an entire day to decorate it, I kept running backwards and forwards to my computer, checking all the reference pictures I had from the show. Unfortunately my printer had decided to play up otherwise I'd have had them in the kitchen with me.








Once the basic black was done I started on the windows. These were made of pastillage so they would be rigid and hold their shape.



With the windows in, all that remained were the front and rear ends, most of which are chrome on the car. With some white icing and some edible silver paint, I got going.



The number plates were pastillage plaques with the writing done with sugar art pens.


The finished article (minus wheels, which were half moons of sponge, covered in black icing. The rims were more edible silver paint).

And finally, the complete car, with wheels, varnished and waiting to be boxed up and taken to the convention.




4 comments: